Monday, September 9, 2013

Delhi gang-rape case: Family demands death for the accused

New Delhi: A court here on Tuesday is expected to pronounce its verdict in the infamous December 16, 2012 Delhi gang-rape case, the trial of which has been followed not just in India but around the world.

Of the six accused, the prime conspirator – Ram Singh – has already killed himself in jail, while another accused was sentenced to three years in a special home by the Juvenile Justice Board.

For the remaining four, the family of the victim – a trainee physiotherapist – are demanding nothing less than death penalty. While it would be premature to predict the esteemed court's judgement, going by the sentiment associated with the case and evidence presented by the prosecution conviction and capital punishment seem to be the most likely outcome.



        
“When we go out and see other girls smile and giggle, we think our daughter would have also smiled like this, giggled like this; those would have been such wonderful moments. It pains us deeply when we think about that,” the victim’s father told Reuters news agency.

“Our daughter cannot come back now, but our goal is to ensure that the criminals get punished, they get hanged and our daughter gets justice,” the mother said.

"We will not accept anything below the death penalty," added the father, who cannot be named for legal reasons. "Anything other than the gallows for these men will not be right. It would send out the wrong message. People will lose trust in our judicial system."

He said further: "If all four are sentenced to death, I can't imagine anything being better than that. Nothing could get better … we will get closure. It will bring peace to our minds and to the country."

The 23-year-old girl was lured by five men and a teenager onto a bus, where they raped and tortured her with a metal bar, prosecutors say. She died of her injuries two weeks later in a Singapore hospital.

The accused, including the bus driver who hanged himself in jail earlier this year, have pleaded not guilty to attacking and killing the woman. Two of the four accused said they were at a party at the time, while another said he was in his native village in the eastern state of Bihar, court documents show.

The fourth admitted he was driving the bus on the night of the attack, but said he did not see or hear anything as the lights were switched off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment